Bicycle lane for miri

(luke08) #21

seriously, please forgive my usual skepticism, but it is a rather big leap from not even owning a bicycle to commuting by bicycle on a regular basis. if you are commuting to work, for e.g., and you say to the authorities that it is unsafe and problematic because of a lack of cycle path, then may be more convincing. otherwise those guys who hold the budget is going to say there is no real demand. it’s good to have. and may be - just may be, there will be more people cycle to work, or to school once the bike paths are in place. but that kind of argument normally don’t fly very well.

it might be more realistic if, for e.g. you can identify a very popular cycle path - say between a housing a area and a school where many school kids there are already cycling on the road, with the obvious safety concern. then we ask the council to put in bike path, and we go from there, one path at a time. instead of a big umbrella statement that says, we need bike paths in miri, and we’ll cycle more if there’s bike path.

not trying to pour cold water. just sharing some thoughts for consideration… don’t get fired up yet. :wink:[/quote]

All inputs are appreciated…we have a common goal…to make Miri city a better place for everybody…we are the owners/stakeholders of this city…when i suggested bicycle lanes for Miri…i know a lot of people out there have creative and beautiful ideas… so keep them coming… like having bike paths connecting schools such as St Columbas to the city centre and so on. A lot of students want to cycle to schools but it is not safe for them to do so at the moment…

(ian) #22

[quote=“stupidhead”]
but part of the problem is also cyclists awareness of road rules, or lack thereof.

vehicle drivers can only “respect” bicycle that behave like a car/motorbike on the road, but i have seen bikes that are going up the wrong side of the road, …running red lights, cycling on and off pedestrian walkway and the road, [/quote]

Cyclists go on the ‘wrong’ side of the road because they must be able to see oncoming cars whenever possible. Them’s the cycling rules. Going on & off pedestrian walkways because the lack of cycling lanes, but again, they can do so because they are bicycles.

As for running red lights - that’s suicidal. No further comment on that…

in general, the majority of drivers in miri are ok, they will respect and overtake bicycles at fairly comfortable distance.

I’ll agree with you on that. The cyclists themselves also need those flashing lights for more visibility.

(stupidhead) #23

i was considering starting a poll to see how many people here know which side of the road a cyclist should take. i suspect you represent at least 60% of the answers… i’m not trying to put you down, but it’s obvious to me that most people don’t know the right answer…

if you are walking on the road, walk against the traffic flow - facing on-coming traffic as they taught us in school

if you are cycling on the road, make sure you do not cycle against the traffic flow. you should cycle with the traffic and you should follow traffic rules like every other road users. that’s the only safe way to ride on the road. did they teach us in school…? i can’t remember…

you don’t agree with me? just look at the pro-looking cyclists on the road next time… esp. look at how they enter and exit the round-about (damn scary for beginners :stuck_out_tongue: )… the motto is: “be a car… be one with the traffic flow…”

still don’t believe me? go google. :wink:

bike lanes? they can be dangerous. because cars can’t see what’s on the bike lanes (esp. those built away from the road - those that you think are the safest because of the distance of car traffic). do you know that every time a bike lane encounters a road, the bike lane have to give way? that’s why there sometimes put stumps on the exits. so if you ride on the road, going straight, a car want to turn left must give way to you. if you are on the bike lane. you better stop, because the car can’t see you, if you don’t - bang! there are numerous studies on the pros & cons of bike lanes. and any serious rider will not use a bike lane because i don’t want to slow or stop and check everytime you cross a junction…

the keys are:

• make yourself visible
  • follow all traffic rules
  • be a car

yes, i ride. :smiley:

(ian) #24

Ok, I stand corrected on that however I did mention that when possible. However, was thinking of less traffic roads and that doesn’t apply to roundabouts main roads etc obviously. I do recall the ‘following traffic rules’ but the advantage of a bike over a motorcycle and car is to take shortcuts anyway.

I do not, for example, want to follow the road along Merbau Road, turn right at Ming Cafe, go past Imperial, turn right & right again just so I could turn into RiceMill Road to go to Chong & Law’s on a bike.

I’d just go pedestrian at that point and screw the traffic rules to damnation.

(shrooms) #25

To anyone looking forward to cycling, be prepared to cycle to work at 5am, and back at 8pm. One thing’s for certain there are more inconsiderate drivers than considerate ones. Just my personal opinion though.

(stupidhead) #26

ha… then you’ll be taking a risk similar to this fellow…
see the problem here? the car driver obviously didn’t see nor expect the motorbike… that’s the same problem for cyclists. even if you have right of way, if the driver can’t see you or didn’t expect you to appear in front of him, you can argue later on lah, if you survive…

YouTube

(shrooms) #27

OUCH!

(stupidhead) #28

i disagree. there are surely more considerate drivers.

the problem is: one inconsiderate driver is enough to kill you.

so statistics doesn’t help you here.
consider this… if you ride to work every day… 50 cars pass you every day. that’s 250 cars every week. about 30,000 cars every year. if 0.1% of these drivers are inconsiderate. you’ll meet 30 in a years - almost one every week. how many times do you need to have a driver almost push you off the road, or get too close to your handle bar, or cut into your right of way to cause you to emergency brake, and so on, before you decide it’s too dangerous to cycle to work? one per week is enough for me.

(ian) #29

ha… then you’ll be taking a risk similar to this fellow…
see the problem here? the car driver obviously didn’t see nor expect the motorbike… that’s the same problem for cyclists. even if you have right of way, if the driver can’t see you or didn’t expect you to appear in front of him, you can argue later on lah, if you survive…
[/quote]

1. So you’re saying you’d take the long way round even though you’re 20 feet across from Chong & Law’s? That defeats the purpose of having a bicycle.

2. That video is not relevant because it is not clear who is at fault - the car or the motorcyclist, and even so, both are at the crossroads, both are clearly using roads, not cycling lanes or anything. Even cars ram into each other at crossroads/junctions/even straights. This does not have anything to do with cycling.

3. One needs to be careful when crossing the roads, and nobody sane ever wants to throw himself in front of an oncoming car, even if it does look like it.

(stupidhead) #30

the threat starter didn’t say [one of] the purpose of using a bicycle is to cut corners… is that the hidden agenda…? :wink:

no, i won’t cut corners on the road. i won’t go up one-way street. is it possible to cut across the small middle strip before ming cafe without causing a hazzard to the cars coming from behind and the cars coming from the other direction? if yes, may be i’ll do it. but in your example, with the heavy traffic on that road, i will most likely get to the end, do a u-turn at the traffic lights. but will i cut across the car park in seberkas at night (with a mountain bike lah)? sure. :mrgreen:

i know many cyclists do cut corners, even those pro-looking ones. i don’t agree.

(ian) #31

It’s ‘thread’. I know you stupid so everybody mekes speling misteaks.

Personally, I feel that cycling is a time saver in town. I could, for example, cut through town from center point to somewhere near imperial for lunch and come back without having to run into traffic or use up fuel, or even breaking a sweat. If I walk it’s about 15 minutes. 10 if I’m fast but sweaty. If I cycle, it’ll take at least 5-6 minutes. I don’t even have to go onto main roads 50% of the time. And do it safely I might add.

If I have to follow the roads and then stop at the lights, go along with the cars and all those fumes – I’d rather walk.

P.S. Btw, I forgot the fact that you could make a U-turn in front of Ming Cafe. Being a driver 100% of the time, I tend to forget it because I usually dread that place for someone will make a U-turn halfway and found out that he wanted to wait for the chap in front of them to reverse while the lights change from green to red. A testament to the greatness of our road design. Let’s assume for that matter in the above example that the U-turn does not exist (not that it works very well anyway)

(stupidhead) #32

solly. i stupid. can’t spell. i.e. don’t have spellchecker… :oops:

Personally, I feel that cycling is a time saver in town. I could, for example, cut through town from center point to somewhere near imperial for lunch and come back without having to run into traffic or use up fuel, or even breaking a sweat. If I walk it’s about 15 minutes. 10 if I’m fast but sweaty. If I cycle, it’ll take at least 5-6 minutes. And do it safely I might add.

do you actually do that? or you just could, but don’t?

if everyone cycle like you described then there will be chaos on the street. rules are just there to make sure everyone can go on their way in an orderly manner.

If I have to follow the roads and then stop at the lights, go along with the cars and all those fumes – I’d rather walk.

fine. walk is good for health.

(ian) #33

[quote=“stupidhead”]

do you actually do that? or you just could, but don’t?

if everyone cycle like you described then there will be chaos on the street. rules are just there to make sure everyone can go on their way in an orderly manner.[/quote]

I don’t do that. Though it’d be nice to have a small foldable bike that can be put into the back of the car for this purpose. And even if everyone does that (i.e. we go all 50’s Shanghai) , I still don’t see the chaos you’re talking about. If China could manage it then, why can’t we?

fine. walk is good for health.

But slow. Aaaah, now you see my dilemma. Maybe get one of those wheely shoes.

(cIvIc_noob) #34

Sorry for OOT,i don’t remember Miri having Natural gas capacity. Isn’t our neighbour Bintulu producing a large ammount of the gas, i think it would be more practical to to have NGV and cheaper.(Citizens pay for the fuel) it has been a craze here in West Malaysia. I see it as a more practical alternative. But if gas prises were to be raised, i think bicycle lane would be more attractive as it adds more value to our resort city status ;).
I’ll search up more info and see if i can help you with anything Luke. I’m T.T the thought of one more year of finishing my studies and moving back to Miri to work with soaring high price of oil.

(luke08) #35

[quote=“cIvIc_noob”]Sorry for OOT,i don’t remember Miri having Natural gas capacity. Isn’t our neighbour Bintulu producing a large ammount of the gas, i think it would be more practical to to have NGV and cheaper.(Citizens pay for the fuel) it has been a craze here in West Malaysia. I see it as a more practical alternative. But if gas prises were to be raised, i think bicycle lane would be more attractive as it adds more value to our resort city status ;).
I’ll search up more info and see if i can help you with anything Luke. I’m T.T the thought of one more year of finishing my studies and moving back to Miri to work with soaring high price of oil.[/quote]

Thanks for the help… u do that find out more do more research… Can u picture Miri with a new lifestyle… young and old cycling happily…if people in China and Great Britain can do it, i don’t see any reasons why Mirians cannot do it except we give so many excuses not to do it…

(cIvIc_noob) #36

Hey why take those countries
u missed out the single most important of all
Holland :wink:

(Uchu Keling) #37

[quote=“LadyBird”]errr are you serious on this? if yes, im thinking of moving this thread under the appropriate column but before that have you submit your suggestion to the miri city council on this?

for a start, hope these would helps…
Miri City Council (MCC) e-Request
http://erequest.emoss.com.my/mmc/erequestmain.nsf

Miri City Council (MCC) hotline (8:00am 4:00pm 1 week 7days including holidays)
085-424111[/quote]

The next thing you know…

1. Land beside the road belongs to villagers
  2. This is under JKR
  3. Have to check with SESCO, LAKU, Telekom, GAS on the construction
  4. bla bla…

(LadyBird) #38

luke08 - any reply from miri city council on your e-request submission? kindly update us here, tq.

(luke08) #39

Until now, no news yet… let’s keep our fingers crossed that the city council see the goodness of this idea… and go ahead to implement it for the good of mirians in this resort city…btw, any time frame for the city council to answer any e-request submission? do u know?

(LadyBird) #40

Until now, no news yet… let’s keep our fingers crossed that the city council see the goodness of this idea… and go ahead to implement it for the good of mirians in this resort city…btw, any time frame for the city council to answer any e-request submission? do u know?[/quote]
ya usually they do have a time frame in responding to matters. wonder why your e-request takes some time? :roll: