Bicycle lane for miri

(luke08) #1

The so-called Miri politicians who declared themselve “The Happening Team” pride themselves for having successfully got the status of city for Miri in 2005-formerly fondly known as the Oil Town…not only that they said Miri Resort City, healthy city…let’s see how far they believe in what they are preaching…i have a suggestion… for a start why don’t they build bicycle lanes in the city… to encourage healthy lifestyle among Mirians. So in view of the fuel hike, this is the cheapest mode of transport…Then Mirians can form a BICYCLE CLUB…

(LadyBird) #2

errr are you serious on this? if yes, im thinking of moving this thread under the appropriate column but before that have you submit your suggestion to the miri city council on this?

for a start, hope these would helps…
Miri City Council (MCC) e-Request
http://erequest.emoss.com.my/mmc/erequestmain.nsf

Miri City Council (MCC) hotline (8:00am 4:00pm 1 week 7days including holidays)
085-424111

(luke08) #3

I am dead serious…do what is necessary to get the city council attention and ACTION…and once there are bicycle lanes in the city i am going to buy a bicycle myself… can you picture the city full of cyclists…

(baham) #4

that is a good idea :l :slight_smile: :slight_smile: beware of rampaging kancil joke :lol: :lol: :lol:

(LadyBird) #5

good. mind to share with us here a copy of the suggestion??

(jianh) #6

aww, it’s the nicest thing I heard since the fuel hike!!! Support 100%

(stupidhead) #7

there is a cycling club in miri.

(miriboy) #8

ya, right. really have to bring out this. it’s really dangerous while ride bicycle on road. as u all know, alot gila driver on the road here. even we upgrade our Miri to City, but driver skill maintain under kampung driving skill.

safe life n save time after built bicycle and motorbike land… how u all think ?

Rgds,

(scarlet88) #9

100% support this idea!!

7 reasons why there should be bicycle lanes in miri!
-Can save petrol, save money
-Can reduce pollution
-good exercise for miri ppl
-can reduce the traffics on the road!!
-it is much more cheaper to build bicycle lanes than building flyovers and more roads!
-since miri has many trees…bicycles lane can be build under the tree so wont be too hot
-This will make Miri the GREENEST city in malaysia!

(berngo) #10

[quote=“miriboy”]ya, right. really have to bring out this. it’s really dangerous while ride bicycle on road. as u all know, alot gila driver on the road here. even we upgrade our Miri to City, but driver skill maintain under kampung driving skill.

Rgds,[/quote]

i dont agree with this. Bicycle and MOTORBIKE land. NO USE WAN LAR. The Mat rempits will still go onto the car lane to do their stunt.
Imagine the FAST n FURIOUS cars speeding on their lane EXPECTING no motorcyclist on that lane.
When they saw one STOP oso no time oredi lar… :mrgreen:

(scarlet88) #11

[quote=“berngo”][quote=“miriboy”]ya, right. really have to bring out this. it’s really dangerous while ride bicycle on road. as u all know, alot gila driver on the road here. even we upgrade our Miri to City, but driver skill maintain under kampung driving skill.

Rgds,[/quote]

i dont agree with this. Bicycle and MOTORBIKE land. NO USE WAN LAR. The Mat rempits will still go onto the car lane to do their stunt.
Imagine the FAST n FURIOUS cars speeding on their lane EXPECTING no motorcyclist on that lane.
When they saw one STOP oso no time oredi lar… :mrgreen:[/quote]
build an extreme park for them with many dangerous ramps for them to play and show off their stunts hahaa… see how many can survive

(luke08) #12

there is a cycling club in miri.[/quote]

Pass the word to them to fight for this…

(luke08) #13

[quote=“LadyBird”]errr are you serious on this? if yes, im thinking of moving this thread under the appropriate column but before that have you submit your suggestion to the miri city council on this?

for a start, hope these would helps…
Miri City Council (MCC) e-Request
http://erequest.emoss.com.my/mmc/erequestmain.nsf

Miri City Council (MCC) hotline (8:00am 4:00pm 1 week 7days including holidays)
085-424111[/quote]

I have contacted the city council… thanks for providing the info.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your request has been logged to our e-Request System and the reference
number is as stated below.
Our support team will attend to your request as soon as possible.

Reference Number : MCC/008/06/2008
Reported Matters : SUGGEST THE BUILDING OF BICYCLE LANES IN THE CITY. READ
ABOUT PUBLIC OPINIONS
ON THE MATTER IN MIRICOMMUNITY.NET

Regards,
Public Service Personnel
MIRI CITY COUNCIL

(luke08) #14

[quote=“scarlet88”]100% support this idea!!

7 reasons why there should be bicycle lanes in miri!
-Can save petrol, save money
-Can reduce pollution
-good exercise for miri ppl
-can reduce the traffics on the road!!
-it is much more cheaper to build bicycle lanes than building flyovers and more roads!
-since miri has many trees…bicycles lane can be build under the tree so wont be too hot
-This will make Miri the GREENEST city in malaysia![/quote]

Thank u for yr total support and the 7 reasons given…i believe there’s more than 7 if we continue to crack our heads and do research… thru the internet…maybe cyclists get to live longer, reduce heart problem, become socially active and become confident interacting with others, miri people truly become friendly and kind to one another, reduce road bullies…

(miriboy) #15

and pls bring out this as well while u go meet council person incharge.

always cause heavy traffic jam during accident on permyjaya to Pujut 7 road, really have to expend the road to double land included on bridge too.

this morning heavy jam as well due to ‘serious’ accident.

Thank you.

(luke08) #16

Health Benefits of Cycling

Cycling is a great form of exercise, and it’s a lot of fun. There are lots of health benefits associated with regular cycling. Now, let’s go into more details about how cycling benefits our bodies.
Cycling Can Reduce Heart Disease

A major study of 10,000 civil servants suggested that those who cycled 20 miles over the period of a week were half as likely to suffer from heart disease as their non-cycling colleagues. This finding was independent of other factors such as smoking, obesity, high blood cholesterol and blood pressure.
Cycling Can Help Control that Belly

Steady cycling burns approximately 300 calories per hour. A 15-minute bike ride to and from work, five times a week, burns off the equivalent of 5 kg of fat per year.
Cycling Can Improve Your Mood

Cycling can have positive effects on how we feel. Moderate exercise has been found to reduce stress, anxiety, and levels of depression. It is believed that the mechanism is linked to the chemical substance, “endorphin”, which is highly present in those who are physically active.
Cycling is an “easy-to-access” exercise

Cycling is one of the few physical activities, which the majority of the population can enjoy as part of a daily routine. Some people cannot do certain sports, like running, because of the pressure it puts on their joints. But pedalling is a low impact movement. This makes cycling a good form of exercise for those with certain joint problems. So there’s no excuse for denying yourself the benefits of taking this simple road to better health.

(LadyBird) #17

[quote=“luke08”]I have contacted the city council… thanks for providing the info.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Your request has been logged to our e-Request System and the reference
number is as stated below.
Our support team will attend to your request as soon as possible.

Reference Number : MCC/008/06/2008
Reported Matters : SUGGEST THE BUILDING OF BICYCLE LANES IN THE CITY. READ
ABOUT PUBLIC OPINIONS
ON THE MATTER IN MIRICOMMUNITY.NET

Regards,
Public Service Personnel
MIRI CITY COUNCIL[/quote]
thank you for the sharing. we shall wait and see the response from the relevant authority.

(stupidhead) #18

seriously, please forgive my usual skepticism, but it is a rather big leap from not even owning a bicycle to commuting by bicycle on a regular basis. if you are commuting to work, for e.g., and you say to the authorities that it is unsafe and problematic because of a lack of cycle path, then may be more convincing. otherwise those guys who hold the budget is going to say there is no real demand. it’s good to have. and may be - just may be, there will be more people cycle to work, or to school once the bike paths are in place. but that kind of argument normally don’t fly very well.

it might be more realistic if, for e.g. you can identify a very popular cycle path - say between a housing a area and a school where many school kids there are already cycling on the road, with the obvious safety concern. then we ask the council to put in bike path, and we go from there, one path at a time. instead of a big umbrella statement that says, we need bike paths in miri, and we’ll cycle more if there’s bike path.

not trying to pour cold water. just sharing some thoughts for consideration… don’t get fired up yet. :wink:

(ian) #19

I might want to add - driving lessons should include a section on respecting cyclists and pedestrians. The current trend is the other way round.

(stupidhead) #20

but part of the problem is also cyclists awareness of road rules, or lack thereof.

vehicle drivers can only “respect” bicycle that behave like a car/motorbike on the road, but i have seen bikes that are going up the wrong side of the road, come out of junctions without stopping (happened with both motors and bicycles…), running red lights, cycling on and off pedestrian walkway and the road, etc. etc. all very dangerous things to do. because car drivers must be able to predict what you are going to do. if not, you shouldn’t be on the road.

in general, the majority of drivers in miri are ok, they will respect and overtake bicycles at fairly comfortable distance.