Astro packages may cost from RM1 to RM15 more

PETALING JAYA: Astro is revising some of its packages as it can no longer continue absorbing increases in content costs.

From July 11, Astro customers may experience increases ranging from RM1 to RM15 per month.

However, there will be savings from RM4 to RM14.95 per month in subscriptions when the company revises some of its packages.

We recognise some of the challenges our customers may face but from a business perspective, the package revision is necessary in view of continued cost pressures, including escalating global and local content costs and sports broadcast rights, its chief operating officer Henry Tan said in a statement yesterday.

The company will maintain the price of its Family Pack at RM37.95 per month with access to 38 channels.

Its customers can also enjoy better value for money with the newly launched Super Packs which are designed to offer packages including high definition (HD) and personal video recording (PVR) services.

From just one flat price of either RM125 or RM155 depending on the Super Pack chosen, Astro customers will be able to enjoy the benefits of HD and PVR services, and the best of the Plus, Minis, Sports and Movies Packs whilst benefitting from savings of up to RM74.85, Tan said.

According to the statement, Astro customers can look forward to watching the Rugby World Cup 2011, the London Olympics 2012, Barclays Premier League and new channels like Discovery World HD and Sundance HD, among others, in the near future.

There are also more local programmes, including educational programmes such as Astro Tutor TV PMR and Astro Tutor TV SPM, International New Era Chinese Kungfu Competition (Malaysia), Classic Golden Melody 2011 and Astro Vaanavil Superstar 2011.

http://www.thestar.com.my/news/story.as … sec=nation

the bastards will still charge an arm and a leg for cricket.

it could have brought in Ten Sports or Star Cricket channel but no it insist on repackaging it as a special event and ASStro still screws cricket fans kau-kau by charging RM499 just for cricket.

after the cricket world cup 2011 passes by i let my subscription lapsed. let them send me legal notices. i will wait till next major cricket event then resubscribe and then let it lapse after that again. that way i save. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

they dont charge extra for football even world cup but charged exorbitant price to squeeze cricket fans (mostly indian). ananda krishnan must be doing this as a favor to indian hating mahathir.

time to go parabolic, anyone in Miri have good contacts?

Best way to get parabolic is a trip to Pontianak. I heard can get a cheap one for RM400.

Damn… Just removed a package thinking to save $$. But now increase? WTF… Semua naik sudah…

Let learn to save money and dont let them manupulate us of robbing us of money. :lol:

easier said than done…

especially since what you manage to save per month (an some extra) are being siphoned away to
oblivion by you know who
:frowning:

i don’t understand why Astro packages keep on increasing. i thought when there is demand, subscription should get cheaper?

When there’s demand, they get greedy. Easy money cos they monopolize the Sat. market in Malaysia.

when their is only 1 player, how to get cheaper?

lucky there is digi in mobile telecommunication or else telecom and maxis will slaughter us too
lucky there is airasia or else mas will slaughter us also…

what channels do you actually get from parabolic dish?

long long time ago my dad install, only have normal channels from other country, tons and tons of opera channel from china.

unless it have live dedicated sports or movie or tv series, i doubt there is any worth installing only to watch other national tv channel…and if parabolic have nice nice channel, i do not think there will be any sarawakian wanna subscribe to astro anymore.

I dont know & never had one.

thats why im wondering; what the worthy compare to astro?. I hate Malaysia media news/movies/tv shows currently…full of commercial; no good quality show; all copy here n there…

copy style lah; copy accent lah; ingat kat je trendy tapi censored lah ni…cut ni cut here…tanya principle apa yang di siar kan…semuanye sampah/rubbish.

Atleast; this you watch other shows overseas…while astro regulates your information.

Not enough kah the income they get from the useless and totally annoying colgate, dynamo sabun pencuci, digi, celcom, hotlink, darlie and whatsoever other advertisement??? ASTRO supposed to be uninteruptted movie,film from beginning till the end because we PAID for it. TV3,RTM1 and RTM2 nvrmind because they get their income from the annoying advertisement.

Due to connection problem I double posted the same post. I deleted the first one. Sorry.

lucky there is digi in mobile telecommunication or else telecom and maxis will slaughter us too
lucky there is airasia or else mas will slaughter us also…[/quote]

I thought last time got MEGA TV. What happen to it already?

consider this; Astro Family Package; tell me if you really watch all the channel; as far I know. its really no quality news; music anything else…

lucky there is airasia or else mas will slaughter us also…[/quote]

I thought last time got MEGA TV. What happen to it already?[/quote]

no business, cannot compete with astro.

Measat Global Bhd has entered into a contract with Astrium SAS for the procurement of the Measat-3b satellite that will cater to existing customers and for expansion into new markets.

Measat-3b will have a contractual life of 15 years and the whole programme is expected to cost about RM1 billion, the company said in a statement today.

It is expected to be launched end 2013.

Measat Global said based on the Eurostar E3000 platform, Measat-3b would provide an additional 48 Ku-Band transponders to the 91.5E orbital location.

Designed to operate in tandem with the Measat-3 and Measat-3a spacecraft, the new satellite will provide high powered Ku-Band capacity for direct-to-home (DTH) and broadband VSAT services across Malaysia, Indonesia and India.

The satellite has also been designed to support a fourth market.

“By more than doubling our Ku-Band capacity at 91.5E, Measat-3b will allow the group to continue to meet the increasing requirements of our DTH and telecommunication customers in Malaysia and across the region,” its chairperson Umar Abu said.

He also said the new satellite would be co-located with the Measat-3 and Measat-3a spacecraft.

“It will add to our existing fleet, creating the region’s most robust satellite network, able to provide the highest levels of service assurance to customers,” he added.

Measat currently supports five DTH platforms across Malaysia, Indonesia, India and Brunei, providing PayTV services to more than 10 million households.

• Bernama

Are subscribers paying for the new satellite to be launched in 2013? Astro now have around 10 million subscribers and taking the average at RM10 increase, that’s a whooping additional RM100 million in astro’s pocket per month. In 1 year. you do the maths…

Taking another example was the Astro booklet that they give every month. Previously it was free. After awhile, they start charging for the booklet. Then, previously why was is it free (isn’t it already covered in the cost of the package?). However, the new booklet wasn’t informative (previous booklet had entertainment news, new movies / series information, etc…), just a simple booklet with the list of programmes of the month. Then after awhile they increase the price of subscription again because there were new channels added into our current package (which I’m sure some would agree “How come we have to pay for the new channels in the current package we have, and yet some may not want the new channels?”). So many subscribers and they can’t maintain profits? Yet there isn’t any competition (besides parabolic and other means). What’s next? Increase in service charge?

[quote=“stay1”]Measat Global Bhd has entered into a contract with Astrium SAS for the procurement of the Measat-3b satellite that will cater to existing customers and for expansion into new markets.

Measat-3b will have a contractual life of 15 years and the whole programme is expected to cost about RM1 billion, the company said in a statement today.

It is expected to be launched end 2013.

Measat Global said based on the Eurostar E3000 platform, Measat-3b would provide an additional 48 Ku-Band transponders to the 91.5E orbital location.

Designed to operate in tandem with the Measat-3 and Measat-3a spacecraft, the new satellite will provide high powered Ku-Band capacity for direct-to-home (DTH) and broadband VSAT services across Malaysia, Indonesia and India.

The satellite has also been designed to support a fourth market.

“By more than doubling our Ku-Band capacity at 91.5E, Measat-3b will allow the group to continue to meet the increasing requirements of our DTH and telecommunication customers in Malaysia and across the region,” its chairperson Umar Abu said.

He also said the new satellite would be co-located with the Measat-3 and Measat-3a spacecraft.

“It will add to our existing fleet, creating the region’s most robust satellite network, able to provide the highest levels of service assurance to customers,” he added.

Measat currently supports five DTH platforms across Malaysia, Indonesia, India and Brunei, providing PayTV services to more than 10 million households.

• Bernama

Are subscribers paying for the new satellite to be launched in 2013? Astro now have around 10 million subscribers and taking the average at RM10 increase, that’s a whooping additional RM100 million in astro’s pocket per month. In 1 year. you do the maths…[/quote]

Even with new satellite; its used for other purpose too. Cant be just Astro.

Astro by actual, ads & demand & shows are going down the drain.