Are there too many holidays in Malaysia?

Interesting read in Star…

http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp?fi … &sec=focus

Some snippets
[i]
ASK any person who employs other people and they will say their workers get too many days off and public holidays. Ask the workers and their answers will be exactly the opposite.

Many countries already have a retirement age of 65 and some dont even have a retirement age and here we are baulking because of employer opposition.
Why is the private sector behaving like that? It wants to get rid of staff and get new ones at lower pay or retain the old ones on yearly contracts and with reduced benefits, saving costs.

It seems like the rest of us have to keep on subsidising the exporters through a weak currency and lower wages so that they can make money

If management thinks 10 days of annual leave is too much for workers, ask how much top management gets the norm is 30 days, but of course they will argue that they work all the time. Anyway, dont some workers too?

And, finally, the most ironic part. Many workers actually employ people yes, maids.
And what do a good proportion of them think when it comes to their own servants. No leave! They will get into mischief if they get out of the house. And so one strata of society exploits the next and the next the ones below and it goes all the way down to the lowest economic strata.
No wonder theres such a scramble to get to the top and do all the exploiting!

Germany is moving to a four-and-a-half-day week, France has a seven-hour work day, Australians value their leisure as do many others. How come they are all so much more productive than Malaysia?

If only everybody thought of others as themselves and focused on giving decent wages for good work done and not making enormous profits at somebody elses expense, we all can have a good life together.[/i]

Four and a half day a week, sort of thing you see a bit at Shell.

I prefer Mon-Fri with nothing on Sat & Sun.

Working on Saturday sucks.

[quote=“whatman”]Four and a half day a week, sort of thing you see a bit at Shell.

Working on Saturday sucks.[/quote]

tell me bout it! :roll:

working 12 hours a day/night for 28 days. withour holiday? how it feel’s?

…we need to throw those idiot politicians or whoever they are into our shoes out of luxury see how it feels

[quote=“whatman”]Four and a half day a week, sort of thing you see a bit at Shell.

+1

[quote=“whatman”]Four and a half day a week, sort
of thing you see a bit at Shell.

Well, sometimes you have unfinished bussiness you need to settle.
Saturday you also go back sit in office, that feels sucks the most. Especially you don’t have overtime money to claim.