APG: Teenager Nurul Rabiatul Wins Unexpected Silver In Powerlifting

KUALA LUMPUR, Sept 18 (Bernama) – Teenager Nurul Rabiatul Adawiyah Bakri, the youngest athlete in the Malaysian contingent for the 9th ASEAN Para Games, swept her more experienced peers aside to win a silver medal in the women’s 45kg powerlifting competition at the Malaysia International Trade and Exhibition Centre, here today.

Nurul Rabiatul, 15, a student from SMK Dato Permaisuri, Miri, lifted 30kg in her first attempt, 34kg and 38kg in her second and third attempts to achieve the memorable feat.

“To be honest I was a little nervous at the start and just focused what I did during training. With the blessings of my parents, coach and fellow powerlifters, I was able to achieve a good result today. I hope to work harder to prepare for the next edition hosted by the Philippines,” said Nurul Rabiatul from Sarawak, here today.

The gold medal was won by Nur Jannah Kamsyah Karem from Indonesia after lifting 71kg while there were no bronze medal winners since two powerlifters from the Philippines, Marydol Jatayna Pamati-an and Achelle Hofilena Guion had failed to clear 62kg and 70kg after three attempts.

Meanwhile, head coach Jamil Adam said Nurul Rabiatul’s achievement would be a motivating factor to other powerlifters in the Malaysian contingent…

Source: http://www.bernama.com/bernama/v8/newsindex.php?id=1392479