Anyone been to longhouse before?

How does it feel like staying in a longhouse? what are the things that have to take note when going to longhouse? Heard that we can try some of Iban food such as siput or snake there. Anybody been longhouse before? please share your viewpoints. Thanks.

you can try delicacy like raw pig testicles, or live monkey brain.

yummy!

you occasionally get lucky…
sometimes,
some of your life’s adventures, (or miss-adventures) occasionally, they take on a wee bit nice colour,
possibly… via late nights at ermmm. Wheels, or
possibly… via a Wild weekend in the longhouse,
& maybe… at Long San (wonderfull location near Indon border).

to Not have done a longhouse social weekend,
is a very sad reflection on your cough narrow outlook,
on what is life, & on what is entertaining around Miri.

& is mayb Y, i always get d gal serenading me, w d 12" long ear-lobes?!

life is good,
but is even better,
when you expand your capacity to look at new horizons,
ie. the long-house,
& was quite simply… wonderfull!

hey guys, i am a kayan from one of the longhouses…

Never been, but always wanted to try. I was hoping to go to one over Gawai, but the one who was to take me had to go to KL. I may not be here next Gawai, so I might have missed my chance. Such is life…

been to before, but not during Gawai lar … nyway, i like longhouse because it is a gud way to enclose the relationship between family members … i mean big family …

you mean you never been to one before? fyi, in sarawak most of the ethnic races stayed at longhouses. in your statement, it seems that only the iban stayed at longhouse which is in-correct. as a matter of fact, mostly nowadays the iban stayed at concrete longhouses. :stuck_out_tongue:

in baram, the kayans, the kenyahs & the penans are still staying at traditional longhouses.

and speaking of food, dishes as ‘siput’ or ‘snake’ or even ‘wild boar brain/blood’ is a norm. reason being was they are nearer to nature and its easy access for them to get food back then. nowadays with the invasion of ‘modernisation’, those mentioned dishes are no longer easy to find. one of the reason is it is a protected species therefore those dishes are considered as exotic dish.

staying in a longhouse is definitely a great adventure especially to those who never been there or experiencing it before. if you are thinking of what to bring to accommodate your comfortability…i would suggest you not to do so. why? because i want you to endure the mosquito bites, leeches bites, the coolness of the night and many more (depending on adventurous you are). no pain, no gain. :wink:

long house now days look more like low cost terrace house… they have astro, aircond, sofa, tv, n their floor r even cover wif mosaic… haha…

correction - lg. san is not even near to indon border. bario is…

you mean you never been to one before? fyi, in sarawak most of the ethnic races stayed at longhouses. in your statement, it seems that only the iban stayed at longhouse which is in-correct. as a matter of fact, mostly nowadays the iban stayed at concrete longhouses. :stuck_out_tongue:

in baram, the kayans, the kenyahs & the penans are still staying at traditional longhouses.

and speaking of food, dishes as ‘siput’ or ‘snake’ or even ‘wild boar brain/blood’ is a norm. reason being was they are nearer to nature and its easy access for them to get food back then. nowadays with the invasion of ‘modernisation’, those mentioned dishes are no longer easy to find. one of the reason is it is a protected species therefore those dishes are considered as exotic dish.

staying in a longhouse is definitely a great adventure especially to those who never been there or experiencing it before. if you are thinking of what to bring to accommodate your comfortability…i would suggest you not to do so. why? because i want you to endure the mosquito bites, leeches bites, the coolness of the night and many more (depending on adventurous you are). no pain, no gain. :wink:[/quote]

Thanks for the sharing. yup, never been before. it will be my first time going in the middle of August soon. will be going to visit Balingian longhouse. Would like to ask is there any bathroom in longhouse? or we bath at river side?

and even streamyx :mrgreen: [quote=“jennessee”]long house now days look more like low cost terrace house… they have astro, aircond, sofa, tv, n their floor r even cover wif mosaic… haha…[/quote]

balingian longhouse? looks like you’re going to experience iban longhouse. have fun bathing at the river. dont take bath in the bathroom.

lol… means wif pc also… :mrgreen:

hehe… let me share my longhouse experience… the longhouse i visited is located near LAKU and it is a modern longhouse which some parts is concrete. most of the longhouse near the city have slowly become modern longhouse. if u go even further or inner part… the longhouse is still the old type… all woods which is more look like a longhouse. That time we actually having a visiting to the longhouse 3 days 2 night and we are doing some cleaning something like gotong-royong. the people at the longhouse is very nice and good. they give us place to sleep and even play with us till early in the morning around 2 or 3am or even longer. they are too generous and keep ask us to drink the tuak(something like rice wine). beside that they also bring us to the jungle and get some foods for the dinner. no snake or siput those food… the modern longhouse have a proper toilet and washroom and don have river. :frowning: wear long pants in the night or else u will gg by the mosquito. bring along ur daily use(they will not sponsor u). As for the traditional longhouse, u will not have a proper toilet or washroom. ur toilet will just a 4 sides wood shaded with bottom one hole. :smiley: the place u bath will be at river or waterfall. care… the toilet is just somewhere on the river. as for the food… they serve wild food like wild chicken, wild boar, fish and some vegetable they plant it them self. no electirc. need to go high place to get some phone signal. sleeping time will be early. the temperature will be kinda hot and after around 12am will be very cold. if it is fruit season then u are lucky… u can eat free fruits. :smiley: DURIAN, RAMBUTAN, LANGSAT and more. night time alot mosquito so care… that’s all :smiley: this is what i experience and what i heard.

looks like there are lots new things for me to experience. Looking for the trip soon. :wink:

LAKU Miri? i think the one i’m going to visit is the traditional longhouse. Thanks for the sharing. Got lots info from your guys sharing here. Less worry now. :slight_smile:

yup… the longhouse near city is like that de lor… got astro, TV, aircond, sofa… the roof is modern de… floor with mosaic… slowly… become terracehouse. u should go further more or inner part like bakun or others those longhouse… then it is traditional which is not yet polluted by the modern and effected by the electrical… :smiley:

I’ve been to long house before in somewhere in sarawak lubok antu.? Yea stay in long house for 2 nights but eat can foods only haha…

:smiley:

looks like there are lots new things for me to experience. Looking for the trip soon. :wink:[/quote]

I would think twice before bathing in the river…unless I’m steve irwin… :mrgreen: