Anyone been to Cairo, Egypt?

Hi! Anyone been to Cairo, Egypt? Nice place to travel?
I am thinking of go overseas for travelling sometime end of this year but don’t know where to go.
A big present for myself after years working…hehe…

you may consider of getting some info from Wikipedia website… :slight_smile:

u might want to try Rome, Italy… nice place…

eqypt? why eqypt?
what you looking for - history? adventure? relaxation? culture? wonders? photography? food & drink? luxury or budget? organised tour or backpacking? what’s your budget?

[quote=“stupidhead”]eqypt? why eqypt?
what you looking for - history? adventure? relaxation? culture? wonders? photography? food & drink? luxury or budget? organised tour or backpacking? what’s your budget?[/quote]
maybe elu’s interested with deserts, mummies and pyramids…

nope, i havent been to there. Hmm, how bout Dubai? Should be a fun place too…

Im not sure if you will be satisfied for longer time in Cairo. Depend what you want to see and for how long you want to travel there.

If you want to visit Egypt I recommend you Hurghada or Sharm Al Sheik, they have very nice beaches and most hotels offer tourist vacancies to the Pyramids and Paharaos graves. Sure there will be a posiblility as well to visit Cairo from Hurghada. It is as well a very nice place for water sports like kitesurfing, diving, can drive jetskis… and more.

Regarding to your interests… (action, history, sports, relaxing on beach, girls and nightlife) there are a lot places. The spanish Islands are very nice (Mallorca, Ibiza) South France is also very nice or Italy… have nice weather and lot places to see, beside beach and stuff…

But really depend on what u expect from the holiday… :wink:

Oh and about Dubai… depend on the time u have planned the vacation… just Dubai is veeery hot… 39-49, and its very expensive, especially having fun and the lifehold expenses.

you can try Austria…nice place

my father went to egypt last time for work…if you are at capital of Egypt that is Cairo that place is always got jam and taxi dont have aircond.But if you want to travel to somewhere out of Cairo you can try going to Alexandria.
PS:I prefer Dubai though…hehehe

Definitely dubai better…

No, Istambul better :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Dont think u would survive just one day in Istanbul… even not much diffrence to Dubai… except the heat.http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/5908/party20xl3.gif

there are plenty of places closer to home
like Thailand, Singapore, New Zealand, Australia

take your pick…I heard Egypt is one of the dirtiest places on the planet
It is not like ancient imes

Seems Dubai is more popular than Egypt.
My budget is about RM5k. I thought I will surround by all the ancient stuff (not include wu wu ~~) and hope to buy some Egypt style jewelry too…
Dubai too expensive liao… Australia is also a good choice place, I’ve been there.
What about Hokaido?

and hope to buy some Egypt style jewelry too…

unfortunately the chance to get cheated is higher then to be successful in buying nice stuff… :?

I heard Egypt is one of the dirtiest places on the planet

not more then some other places… there are lot places on earth that are very dirty if you leave the tourist- or hotel area, but yes you are right.

Dubai is just more famous because its a “Metropole of the rich” but not that fantastic as everybody think. Maybe better to choose a nice place that is affordable and nice, because then you have still money left just for having fun or shopping and bring some nice stuff home, than just tell everyone “Ive been in Dubai”… thats not worth. As you said you worked hard for that… Choose a place you can really enjoy. :wink:

Iceblue, where is the place you will recommend? I hope to go to a place with totally different culture from M’sia and not too expensive cox would like to enjoy shopping as well …
I’ve been to Korea, Melbourne, Thai, Singapore, Shanghai…

How about going to New Zealand? That place should be a great place with full of adventures…

Hehe, let me think

Different culture good decision then I can recommend Europe.

Totally different would be Great Britain, France, Netherland or Germany.

Pros & Cons The weather is totally different, but if you travel between May and July, you will enjoy it a lot. The nature and the people are totally different and there will be a lot to see, there are a lot nice places to visit. But will be expensive, especially in case of shopping. And I dont recommend to stay in big cities, rather somewhere around and then take a daytrip to a city like London, Paris, Amsterdam, Cologne or Munich very nice cities

If you like it more warm and maybe wanna spend some days at the beach I recommend south france, italy and spain. They have a very nice flair, the style of the buildings and the nature around is great, special and very beautiful. The weather is around 25-32 but the Mediterranean weather is very pleasant. Think you will find some nice souvenirs and there are a lot markets for handicrafts, leather stuff and more. The food is fantastic and the people are very friendly and its not that expensive like northern Europe.

Otherwise yes, Australia and New Zealand should be nice as well, and not that far away. And depend on the place you go there you can choose between nature, sea and cities for shopping.

For me Singapore is a damn nice destination, because for me its as you said a totally different culture same like the weather, when you live in a cold country like I do. Thats why I think, europe will be intersting for you, same like Australia.

Maybe the US as well, but I cant tell you a lot about it, cause I never been there.

Places like Egypt, Turkey, Arabian Emirates same like Dubai are not made for me… but its not meant its not nice there… One of my best friends live in Dubai since a few years. So far he is happy there even he have a pleasant life, he also told me its expensive.

[quote=“Elu”]Hi! Anyone been to Cairo, Egypt? Nice place to travel?
I am thinking of go overseas for travelling sometime end of this year but don’t know where to go.
A big present for myself after years working…hehe…[/quote]

Hi, been there before,

Yupp its really dirty indeed…the taxis driver drive like crazy and can cause you migrane,for jewels ok lorr very cheap, prefer Alexandria…nice place to visit…what you can do…stay in cairo 2 or 3 days and then proceeds to Alexandria. Don’t forget to go to Giza where the Mighty Pyramids located…very huge wooo…or Istanbul not bad…but they use EURO and USD currency woo…shopping limited lorrr…

Thanks a lot for your info… I am going to look for travel agent and see if there are any good offer… can’t wait to go travel lorr…

Egypt. You may want to take a travel tour, don’t go on your own and hope to find a good travel agency there. They will slaughter you clean… If you get a travel agency in Malaysia before you go, you’ll be sure that all immigration/visa will be prepared on your arrival.

In Cairo, you have to be extra careful of your luggage/belongings. Never ever leave it in the hotel or never wear flashy stuff. Wear nice comfortable long-pants for woman, nice always good to have a shady hat on. If you want to try local food, ask the hotel reception for recommendation, but you have to be patient with the service. You may or may not get the speedy service like we have in Malaysia. And being Asian, you’ll find a little bit of discrimination being directed to Asian. Honestly, it may even irritate you.

Alexandria is a little bit relax place, it’s a little bit safer, but don’t let your guard down though.

All in all, a tour package is the best thing for you if you never been there. I’ve been there before, for work. I’ve been to most of the Middle Eastern countries. In any case, you have to be firm and patience with Middle Eastern people. Egyptian especially are a very proud people, always compliment them even though it’s shiet… but be firm or they’ll try to squeeze every bit of money from you.

Another you may want to know, everything on sale can be price-haggling. Normally, no price tag is displayed. Always ask for lower price, same like in Petaling Street… you don’t agree with the price… move on. And buying gold in Egypt is not a good idea. Better buy gold in China or Malaysia even. The gold quality may vary, and dont be fool by them when the store-keeper or shop owner says “This is very good quality”. Which storekeeper want to say his things are bad, right?

This is all from my travel experience. Hope it will be a good guide for you.