Another 4WD Goes Missing In Miri

Another 4WD Goes Missing In Miri
By Rosli Abidin Yahya

Bandar Seri Begawan - Local border hoppers are advised to exercise extreme care while in Miri, as another local man lost his Mitsubishi Pajero last Sunday while parked at a shopping complex.

Arriving from the Sultanate on the same day, the man and his friends went shopping. When they returned to the parking lot, the vehicle was nowhere to be found.

The man searched high and low for the 4WD vehicle and realised that he had become another victim of car theft. He immediately lodged a police report in Miri.

Observers believe that most vehicle alarms can be easily shut down and rendered inoperative by professional vehicle thieves.

However, an alarm called “V Guard Satellite Tracking System” can activate itself even if the illegal inactivation procedure had been done, they said. “It is advised that luxury vehicle owners install the alarm in order to prevent their vehicles from being stolen.”

Meanwhile, police in Miri advised vehicles owners to lodge a police report as soon as possible so that they can take prompt action.

“The public can report direct through the direct line at the operations room by calling 085-433400 or 433730. Upon receiving a report, the operation room will alert our Mobile Police Vehicle (MPV) to follow up on the report,” police in Miri said.

“Most car theft victims usually make the report at the CPS (Central Police Station) only the next morning, and by that time the vehicle may have already been driven out of Miri, which would made it harder for us to locate it.”

They said that with the new direct line, vehicle owners would only need to inform the police the vehicle model, colour and plate number before lodging a detailed report at the Miri police station. – Courtesy of Borneo Bulletin

http://www.brudirect.com/DailyInfo/News … nite17.htm

Quite old news, i know. but now we know that it’s still happening.

Hummpphhh…I am Starting to get worried sick about my car now… :cry: Anyway…Just for the fun…just detached anything valuable like CD changer ,cosmetics and other stuff that tender to feast the eyes…
I bet ur car will stay with u till you get bored of it … just until u are willing to let them steal it for you… :wink:

[quote=“Sileast20”]Hummpphhh…I am Starting to get worried sick about my car now… :cry: Anyway…Just for the fun…just detached anything valuable like CD changer ,cosmetics and other stuff that tender to feast the eyes…
I bet ur car will stay with u till you get bored of it … just until u are willing to let them steal it for you… :wink: …[/quote]

Drive a jelopy. That way nobody would want it, even if you pay them. And those can’t be used as getaway vehicles for bank robberies either because it will bog down during a robbery. You can park anywhere at anytime, or leave the doors open, and even leave the keys in the car!

Heck If you drive that thing and leave it at a parking space for a long time…The Cop’s and the MCC council dun even want to pull it anywhere…hehheheh…Heck…They might pay you to persuade you to take that junk of the parking space…thats a good idea… :lol: Funny…As you realize only Four Wheel Drives and expensive cars…I think if you drive a 15 year old Proton(that dun look appealing)… I guess you dun lock the doors also you will still find it…Hei I got a story for ya…I went travelling once to Mukah and loaned my fully acessoriesed Iswara and on the way he drove to bintulu the cars sort of like over heat and he didn’t dare to drive it back to Miri…and it was left in BAtu Niah next to the Food COurt…the one next to the Miri-Bintulu Highway…the bugger didn’t even lock the freakin doors…not even the freakin alarm was armed…the next day I came down from Mukah…suprisingly the car is still there…still as it is…damn…I have to pull the car back with my Hilux all the way …the bugger paid for my repairs and I still have the car back at home… :lol:

Man, that’s still kind of recent - only happened end of last month. Hmm… wonder what’s the use of stealing them when you can’t even drive them around in broad daylight. Even if you change the 4WD physically (e.g. swap plates, paint job, add/remove body kits, etc.), you’ll still be easily spotted and caught. So far does Miri or any nearby districts have ‘kedai potong’? I’m not too sure about that, but chances are the car is either dismantled and sold by parts; being driven across the southern borders to serve new foreign owners; exported to some other countries at some low-security ports; or sold to those working in the local timber industry based in really remote location. Don’t flame me or take my word for it - it’s just purely an educated guess. :smiley:

Man, that’s still kind of recent - only happened end of last month. Hmm… wonder what’s the use of stealing them when you can’t even drive them around in broad daylight. Even if you change the 4WD physically (e.g. swap plates, paint job, add/remove body kits, etc.), you’ll still be easily spotted and caught. So far does Miri or any nearby districts have ‘kedai potong’? I’m not too sure about that, but chances are the car is either dismantled and sold by parts; being driven across the southern borders to serve new foreign owners; exported to some other countries at some low-security ports; or sold to those working in the local timber industry based in really remote location. Don’t flame me or take my word for it - it’s just purely an educated guess. :D[/quote]

All of your guesses are correct, depending on circumstances. Brunei cars fetch a nice price because some of them have nice, powerful engines perfect for the chop shop.

Lately scrap metal prices have been increasing, so I take back my jelopy statement - unless of course you have a plastic jelopy or something…

Yup…they will certainly take it to the chop shop…they are selling like beef cakes these days///…damn they even steal the road signs now…
I saw one time when I was driving up to PJ and I saw a little sign that says “Lumpur” (I suppose they only get to tear the “Kuala” off)…I didn’t take that road…judging that I would meet what it meant… :lol: have you heard ones they even hijacked the whole Trailer truck just to get chop of for it’s Steel…? these ppl are desparate…

*it is not a hobby, it is a thing prior to survival…in the wrong way…