An accident waiting to happen in Miri

(miri_angmoh) #1

Came across this humongous pile of scrap metal the other day at Piasau. There are times when you can see an excavator on top of the pile pulling up more junk onto the top. Someone told me the pile is worth a million dollars! Any idea where this scrap metal come from? Whatever the case I think it is an accident waiting to happen. Imagine the pile sliding when someone is driving or walking by right at that moment.

Any comments? Thoughts?

(JalanRiam) #2

You can always lodge a report with the Miri City Council and someone might take a look to determine the need for action. That’s just how it works here. There’s hardly any specific laws regarding H&S compliance. People just assume that it would be fine until something disastrous happens. It’s the infamous “wait-and-see” attitude. I can’t say I’m surprised but if you’re new in town, welcome to the third world.

(Athrun_zala_faith) #3

I’ve been waiting for several years and nothing really happends.

incase you are wondering where the scrap metal come from, it came from all over Miri.
They will buy anything that can be recycle, steel, iron, aluminum and many more…

From time to time, they will ship the scrap metal to other places for recycling. Because there is no mill in Miri.

(DuFfz) #4

The mountain of scrap has never gone down for many years la…

(EterNal5767) #5

LOL~ I don’t think would slide so far out…

(GTSW20) #6

we see metal rubbish, the owner see it gold shining :mrgreen:

(winwin) #7

The owner must be so rich that he won’t bother to have the junks disposed of. Better beware of any mishaps for which he’s gonna be held responsible :?: :?

(MonkeyKing) #8

Why don’t this Ting’s Metal quickly shipped the scrap metal out to the factory instead of stockpiling it higher and higher, seems like no changes to it over the years.
Its just an eyesore and dangerous, why don’t the MCC do something e.g. ask them to move elsewhere far away or quickly export it out. I think MCC should know about this long time ago since its been there for ages already. The place could also be mosquito breeding ground since there will be stagnant water onside those metal.
Don’t wait until something bad happen then you take action.

(GTSW20) #9

[quote=“MonkeyKing”]Why don’t this Ting’s Metal quickly shipped the scrap metal out to the factory instead of stockpiling it higher and higher, seems like no changes to it over the years.
Its just an eyesore and dangerous, why don’t the MCC do something e.g. ask them to move elsewhere far away or quickly export it out. I think MCC should know about this long time ago since its been there for ages already. The place could also be mosquito breeding ground since there will be stagnant water onside those metal.
Don’t wait until something bad happen then you take action.[/quote]

Answer is very simple: when the metal price is at lowside, we see metal hill, it will be gone when we see metal price goes up. :mrgreen:

(MonkeyKing) #10

[quote=“GTSW20”][quote=“MonkeyKing”]Why don’t this Ting’s Metal quickly shipped the scrap metal out to the factory instead of stockpiling it higher and higher, seems like no changes to it over the years.

Answer is very simple: when the metal price is at lowside, we see metal hill, it will be gone when we see metal price goes up. :mrgreen:[/quote]

But I never see the metal hill gone or even reducing leh, always about the same height all the time.

(GTSW20) #11

[quote=“MonkeyKing”][quote=“GTSW20”][quote=“MonkeyKing”]Why don’t this Ting’s Metal quickly shipped the scrap metal out to the factory instead of stockpiling it higher and higher, seems like no changes to it over the years.

Answer is very simple: when the metal price is at lowside, we see metal hill, it will be gone when we see metal price goes up. :mrgreen:[/quote]

But I never see the metal hill gone or even reducing leh, always about the same height all the time.[/quote]

do passby everyday from now and monitor lor…

(stay1) #12

[quote=“MonkeyKing”][quote=“GTSW20”][quote=“MonkeyKing”]Why don’t this Ting’s Metal quickly shipped the scrap metal out to the factory instead of stockpiling it higher and higher, seems like no changes to it over the years.

But I never see the metal hill gone or even reducing leh, always about the same height all the time.[/quote]

It is because there are still plenty of scrap metal in the surroundings of Miri.

(miri_angmoh) #13

If not wrong, the last time I drove by the dreaded metal hill, I saw a lot of wooden poles prop up against the fence to hold it up. I guess the weight of the metal scrap is too much for the fence. Anyone has any idea how to go about letting the Miri council deal with this? Is there a number to call or an email address to forward this to?

(larthui) #14

Here u go let’s see u do it

Miri City Council,
Jalan Raja, 98000 Miri,
Sarawak, Malaysia.

Telephones And Fax
General lines connecting to all section :
085-433501, 433504, 433505, 433225, 432518, 433584
Fax : 085-415486

Telephones To All Sections

Public Cleansing And Maintenance Section Hotline 424111 250 & 260

Egineering Department ext. 225, 235, 237, 239, 240, 275& 276

Public Health Section ext. 232, 234, 252 & 253

Landscape Division Direct Line 414682

Enforcement Section ext. 263

http://www.miricouncil.gov.my/modules/web/page.php?id=53&menu_id=0&sub_id=69

(DuFfz) #15

and…what the council going to do about it? It’s a private lot…they didn’t encroach to anyone’s land…

(miri_angmoh) #16

i am sure there are laws against the height of the scrap pile otherwise what is stopping me from turning my house into a 100 storey building.

(Levi-TreX) #17

correct me if I’m wrong. I thought sometime last year I saw they repair the fencing which is on the road side used by public. Is it not because of collapsed scraps? sometimes feel ‘geli’ also passing by that place (during escaping traffic jam at main highway)

(jssw) #18

i am sure there are laws against the height of the scrap pile otherwise what is stopping me from turning my house into a 100 storey building.[/quote]
Your level of maturity, intelligence and the money you have.

(Apocalypse) #19

that scrap mountain is a serious health hazard. I will cal the council now and action WILL be taken

thanks for sharing

(Marshmallow Man) #20

How about we start a petition then hand it to Lawrece Lai?