Amal Sarawak team does state proud

(From left) Hasimah, Raynise, Raphael, Chaels, Jeremy, Ting, Samion, Amri, Ivan, Harith Haziq and Suryanti pose for the cameras at Miri Airport yesterday.

The team members react during the intense competition.

MIRI: The Asrama Malaysia (Amal) Sarawak team of Kolej Tun Datu Tuanku Haji Bujang (KTDTHB) Miri emerged as the winner of the MakeX Challenge: Courageous Traveler at the Malaysia MakeX National Robotics Competition 2019.

The event was held from Oct 11 to Oct 13 at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia in Bangi.

The six members of the Amal Sarawak team – two Form 2 students and four Form 4 students – also won the Best Engineering Notebook Award, Team Spirit Award and Best Automatic Programme Award, and will represent Malaysia at the MakeX World Championship 2019 in Guangzhou, China from Nov 28 to Dec 1.

According to team mentor and teacher Amri Azmi, the allocation from Amal Malaysia assisted the team in robotics production which cost over RM10,000 while the transportation was self-sponsored.

“Without the support from Amal Malaysia, it may be difficult for us to produce our robots and we are grateful for the help they provide. This programme organisation is one of the platforms for them (participants) to showcase their creativity and to respond to the government’s call for Industrial Revolution 4.0,” he told reporters upon arriving here from Kuala Lumpur yesterday.

Amri added that they did not expect victory on their part because there were schools in the peninsula attached to the university which assisted them with the support and extra knowledge, while the Amal Sarawak team was independent.

“However, I am grateful with the team members and we will continue to make improvements to our robot before going to China, and will try our best to uphold the country’s name.

“My team’s spirit, ideas and commitment are something that I am very proud of and I thank the Ministry of Education, Sarawak Education Department, Miri education office, Syarikat Telaga Biru, our school and parents for their support and cooperation,” he said, adding the accommodation and food cost for the upcoming Guangzhou championship is borne by the organisers while the airline cost is to be paid by the team.

Assistant Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture Datuk Sebastian Ting, who was also at Miri Airport to welcome the team, expressed pride with the team’s achievements and said the competition nurtured the country’s leading robotics experts.

“I am very proud of the achievement of the Amal Sarawak KTDTHB team and this demonstrates that our young people are talented, and this is a way forward for Sarawak and Malaysia as a whole especially towards the Industrial Revolution 4.0.

“They will be representing our country in Guangzhou and at this young age, we must continue to encourage them and I will continue to support this team as the young people are our assets and we must give them the best,” Ting said.

The programme is a collaboration between the Ministry of Education and Syarikat Telaga Biru, in conjunction with the development of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM) under the Malaysia Education Blueprint 2013-2025, and has attracted more than 100 entries from schools across the country.

MakeX is an international-based robotics event originating in China with the aim of promoting STEM education. In the competition, students are required to programme on mBot units to complete several assignments and winners are evaluated based on criteria such as number of assignments completed by mBot, speed, safety and the number of penalties.

The Amal Sarawak team comprised Chaels Stanlly (leader), Raynise Aran, Raphael Sli, Jeremy Tomy, Ivan Miguel and Harith Haziq Mohd Farez, while KTDTHB parent-teacher association member Suryanti Samion had accompanied them to Kuala Lumpur. Also present to welcome the team back yesterday were KTDTHB principal Hasimah Abang Zen and Penghulu Samion Gani.

The post Amal Sarawak team does state proud appeared first on Borneo Post Online.

Source: https://www.theborneopost.com/2019/10/15/amal-sarawak-team-does-state-proud/