Adenan: Join me in fight for your interests

MIRI: Chief Minister Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Adenan Satem wants the people to join him in the mission to fight for the interest of Sarawak.

Speaking to more than 3,000 guests attending SUPPs Chinese New Year (CNY) celebration at Eastwood Valley Golf and Country Club (EVGCC) here on Sunday, Adenan said the fight was not for his own interest.

This is not my fight but it is our fight for Sarawak. We have done many things within one year. What cant be done in the next five years and more years to come?

Thus, he called on the people to give him a chance and in return, the people could expect more positive changes in the state.

We have established a good relationship with the federal government and I know how to use the resources to develop Sarawak. After all, we are in the same party and same organisation.

At the same time, he also stressed on a few changes that had been done and what had been planned pertaining to the state governments policies.

On the Chinese community in the state, he told them not to doubt their nationality as they are citizens of Malaysia and Anak Sarawak.

He also shared his happiness at the success of getting rid of the word others in the race column of all government forms and replacing it with Dayak.

Touching on the electricity tariff, he said a discussion to lower the rate for domestic usage had been made and he was negotiating with Sarawak Energy Berhad (SEB) to reduce the tariff for commercial and industrial usage.

He said he would announce the matter during the next State Legislative Assembly (DUN) sitting in April.

Regarding the negotiation with Petronas to increase the states oil and gas royalty from five to 20 per cent, he said it was ongoing.

Even so, he said, Petronas was considering to offer RM2.1 billion worth of contracts to Sarawak companies and the company had agreed under its Corporate Social Responsibility (CSR) to chip in RM50 million for the establishment of Maktab Sains, technical and vocational colleges in the state.

Im not completely happy on that but I will take it and hope for some more from Petronas. It is because the oil and gas resources are from Sarawak.

Among those present at the gathering were Adenans wife Datin Patinggi Dato Jamilah Anu, SUPP president Senator Datuk Professor Dr Sim Kui Hian, SUPP honorary presidents Datuk Patinggi Tan Sri Dr George Chan and Tan Sri Peter Chin, Assistant Minister of Communications Datuk Lee Kim Shin who is also vice president of SUPP and chairman of Miri-Sibuti Parliamentary Liaison Committee, Lambir assemblyman Ripin Lamat, Telang Usan assemblyman Dennis Ngau, prominent local Chinese businessmen, leaders of various BN component parties as well as community leaders.