51-year wait for citizenship finally over for Sarawakian born in Brunei

MIRI: Chew Yun Fui’s wait for citizenship is finally over - thanks to the personal intervention of Deputy Prime Minister Datuk Seri Dr Ahmad Zahid Hamidi and SUPP Miri.

Chew, 63, received his citizenship approval letter signed by Dr Ahmad Zahid, who is also Home Minister, from SUPP vice-president Datuk Lee Kim Shin at the National Registration Department (NRD) office here.

The letter will enable him to apply for his MyKad.

“I was born in Brunei as my parents were working there.

“At that time Sarawak was still under colonial rule and Malaysia was not formed yet.

“My parents repeatedly applied for citizenship when I was 12 years old but all their efforts proved futile.

“I also tried for decades but the NRD rejected my application.

“I sought the help of Datuk Lee and today I got the good news,” he told a press conference.

Lee said he brought up the plight of Chew and 32 other stateless folk in Miri to Dr Ahmad Zahid.

“He promised to look into their plight. Chew’s case was resolved along with 11 others through the personal intervention of Dr Ahmad Zahid,” said Lee.

The other outstanding cases are being sorted out, he added.

Source: https://www.thestar.com.my/metro/metro-news/2018/04/18/51year-wait-for-citizenship-finally-over-for-sarawakian-born-in-brunei/