MIDE 2017 Expected To Attract 15,000 Visitors – Mas Ermieyati

0
11


Datuk Mas Ermieyati Samsudin (Bernama file pix)
KUALA LUMPUR, May 12 (Bernama) — The 12th Malaysia International Dive Expo (MIDE) 2017 is expected to attract 15,000 visitors with approximately RM12 million in turnover.

Deputy Tourism and Culture Minister Datuk Mas Ermieyati Samsudin said the three-day exhibition which began today not only catered to those who loved diving but acted as a business platform as well.

“The expo has evolved as a highly successful business platform with an impressive return on investment track record supported by more than 130,000 consumers over the last decade with an average minimum of 10,000 visitors yearly,” she said when officiating MIDE 2017 at Putra World Trade Centre here, today.

Mas Ermieyati said that diving was a top draw in attracting tourists to Malaysia as the country offers over 40 world class diving destinations and marine parks including Sipadan, Mabul, Layang-Layang, Perhentian, Redang and Miri.

She said Malaysia is home to the best diving locations in the world as its island destinations were well-known for calm waters and an abundance of marine life.

MIDE 2017 will showcase products and services from 220 booths that have been set up with more than 150 participating companies comprising of 2,000 exhibitors.

Meanwhile, in a press conference after the launching Mas Ermieyati said local and international tourist arrivals in Sabah alone, had increased from 55,381 in 2015 to 73,477 last year.

She said with the establishment of the National Recreational Scuba Diving Council Malaysia (NDC) in Oct 2016, it was hoped that the scuba diving industry would help to achieve a significant contribution towards the tourism industry and dive tourism revenues.

— BERNAMA

Source: Bernama

Leave a Reply